Skip to main content

Making Birthday Gift Boxes

I was watching crafty YouTube videos before work one morning this past week and came across this simple gift box tutorial by PootlesPapercraft:


I never try gift boxes, because they all look so complicated and I need things that look "easy" - I fully admit to being a lazy papercrafter some (most?) days.  But I had the SU! Be Dazzling specialty paper, so I thought, hey, why not try this out? I needed a birthday gift box for a little trinket and a gift card, so this was the perfect size.

This box was super easy.  I switched out the cardstock that Sam used for Melon Mambo (my favourite pink!)


Hot tip: Like Sam, I always have clothespins kicking around my craft area, but I think this is the first time I've actually had to use them for pinning something together until the glue dries. Very useful!!  I just used a glue runner on the cardstock base, because it was strong enough to hold together. On the Be Dazzling specialty paper, you have to use liquid glue to ensure the box lid stays together.

Here's the finished box (don't mind the poor lighting!):


I also made a 3x3 card to accompany the little gift box:


Supplies:
Paper: SU! Be Dazzling Specialty Paper; SU! Whisper White and Melon Mambo CS; SU! Pop of Pink Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Stamp: CTMH Leave a Little Sparkle
Dies: SU! Stitched Circles and Happy Birthday Thinlits; CTMH Hearts 
Embellishments: CTMH Bitty Sparkles

Then, I decided to make another gift box because I had another birthday gift to give. I used Sam's video as the basis of the next box, but obviously had to change the dimensions.  I needed this box to be 9 inches long and 1.5 inches high, with a 1 inch high lid.


I did have to re-do the lid because I was a little off on the measurements, but i think it ended up being quite successful! I was able to save most of the paper I used on the first lid, so I'll just use it on another project.

Hot tip: Now, if you need a really sturdy box, I do not suggest using DSP for the lid. Make the whole thing out of cardstock, and then use your choice of patterned paper to decorate the box.  I did not need a sturdy top, so I just used the DSP. I did use CTMH Colonial White cardstock for the base.

I did a cute little 3x3 card to accompany this one too, here's a close-up:


I used a very retired package of SU! DSP called Raspberry Tart. I fussy cut the flowers from the DSP, and since I am not using an envelope for this card, I positioned the hummingbird die a little off the card base.  The hummingbird has a very special meaning for the me and the gift recipient, so I hope she likes it as much as I liked making it!

Supplies:
Paper: CTMH Colonial White CS; SU! Raspberry Tart DSP
Stamp: CMTH Celebrate
Die: Unbranded hummingbird die
Embellishments: CTMH Topiary Mini Chevron Ribbon; CTMH Bitty Sparkles




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas Slimline

I did another card from this week's  Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge  (sketch #469). This time, I did a Christmas card! I used Gina K's woodgraining technique (you can find a tutorial here ). I also used Distress Frosted Crystal embossing powder; here's a close-up of the effect: For the snowflakes and the sentiment, I cut the shapes out twice and glued them together to make them thicker. Very happy with how this one turned out! :) Supplies : Dies: Merry Christmas sentiment (unbranded), Tim Holtz Sizzix Holiday Greens Mini, Pink & Main Stitched Slimline, SU! Snowfall Thinlits Paper: SU! Mossy Meadow, Real Red and Very Vanilla cardstock, Recollections Gold Foil cardstock Ink: Distress Oxide Vintage Photo, SU! Crumb Cake Embellishments: Distress Frosted Crystal embossing powder, CTMH Gold Bling Gems

AHSC #111

The inspiration for this week in the  Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge : This is my interpretation of the sketch: I was so excited to do this sketch, because I remembered that I had some White Daisy Circle Spin cards from CTMH that I'd never used... this is the perfect sketch to use them with! It's also my first project using CTMH Seaside. Thanks for looking! :) Supplies : Inks - SU! Chocolate Chip Paper - CTMH Seaside, Glacier, Kraft and Dollarama Chocolate Brown Stamps - CTMH Happy Everything and Finding the Words Dies - Spellbinders Classic Square Large and Standard Circle Large Punches - Fiskars Scallop border punch and SU! 2 3/8" Scallop Circle Etc- CTMH Glacier Extra Thick twine and White Daisy Circle Spin card

Snowflakes in June?!

Not real ones, thankfully! I've been watching some of Gina K's Lives for the past couple of weeks. On Friday, she showed some masculine cards, and I was just blown away by her woodgrain technique that she showcased in her video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYiy54o2YC8&t=18s ).  It might be an old technique, but I hadn't seen it before so I was amazed and quickly completed some backgrounds on the weekend.  If you haven't seen the technique, watch the video - seriously, it's awesome AND easy. I also watched her Merry Monday Live, on well...Monday. She showed a "carved wood" technique.  MIND BLOWN AGAIN. (See it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwvaMa7Zc0&t=15s ) So, I thought I would try my hand at making "carved wood."  Now, I don't have many stencils, and I did try one, but couldn't get an impression. I used an embossing folder from SU! called Winter Wonder.  Apparently this is an old technique that she used to d